Thursday, November 12, 2009

Why I love my office

Today was a quiet, cool, gray and cloudy day. From my office desk I could look out and see the constant falling leaves, like snow flakes. It was not windy, just breezy enough to cause the leaves to fall off the branches and float to the ground. Peaceful.
At 12:30 pm I went to the kitchen to slice my pear and eat lunch, after a very busy and sometmes frustrating morning. I looked out the window as I stood over the sink and to my delight I saw a few deer. I went to the kitchen nook window and ate my pear and counted six (6!) deer just having a nice lunch in the back yard of the Former President's home. There are three young deer and three who look a year older. I know the one mother deer we watched last year had three babies this summer, but it seems a few more deer have joined the herd. Watching those deer and especially the young fawns leap and dart across the yard just calmed me and made me peaceful.
At 4:30 pm in my second story office I decided it was time to shut down and I stood at the window to gaze out. This time the deer were back and some were in the yard and some were just standing in the bushes on the edge of the hill. I think I counted 7! Nibbling, nuzzling, and posing.
When I went out the front door to meet Clyde, there were three deer on the lawn just by the door where I was exiting. They startled, but I said to them, "It's OK, just keep eating your dinner." They calmed right down and only stuck their heads into the bushes. As soon as I was in the car they turned back to the grass they had been eating.

My little spot and magic of nature, right here on the BYU campus. I'm glad deer get hungry everyday. I'll be watching.

No comments: