Thursday, November 12, 2009

hand minus wrist

It's been 1 month since I fractured my wrist in Maryland. My surgery was three and a half weeks ago. I have progressed a long ways since those first days, when I could not use my right hand for anything and had to depend on my left hand or Clyde. I can now do quite a lot with my right hand:
-hold the round brush to style my hair - although stiffly
-open the car door, slowly
-pull up my pants - tenderly
- type and use a mouse - not too hard
- put on eyeliner and mascara - have to hold them funny sine I can't turn the wrist

You see, the bone is healing, but the stiffness remains. I cannot eat soup with my right hand because I cannot turn the wrist to point the spoon to my mouth. I still feel like a toddler if I eat with my right hand - clumsy and the spoon points to the wall, not my mouth. Do you realize how much wrist action you need to dry yourself off with a towel? A LOT.
I have a lot of work to do on my range of motion and strength. I still can't open a can, a bottle of prescription pills, hold a gallon of milk etc. And I'd be very excited if the remaining swelling would go down!
Today I began moving my wrist up and down according to DR's orders. Little movements, like baby steps. Every day. I hope to be whole soon.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Just tried holding my hand like I was eating soup and I can see how that wouldn't happen if my wrist wasn't working! Weird to think about.

I hope it starts working soon. What a pain that would be!