Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Before I forget

The 20 Minute Meal
I have lots of fresh basil in my garden, and just enough zucchini to make some bread, and cook up different ways.
I wanted a quick meal so I improvised on a Marth Stewart recipe I found in my collection:
 Start the water for fettucini pasta.
 slice an onion, a red pepper, and some zucchini - very thin.
Start sauteing veggies in olive oil, add some diced garlic or garlic powder.
soften 3 - 4 oz of  low fat cream cheese
heat up some chicken broth using the chicken base from Costco and 3/4 cup water
add  1/4  cup evap milk - to the cream cheese so it will mix in smooth
open one can of chicken, or add your own diced chicken
add chicken to veggies, then pour liquid and cream cheese over. Heat through.
Add 3 -4 good shakes of Parmesan cheese
add 3 t. corn starch to 3 T cold water.
stir into veggies and sauce. Let thicken
toss one handful of basil, sliced thin, into the sauce mixture

drain pasta and serve sauce over.  There was so much sauce we ate it in bowls!
Add a sliced peach as the side dish and dinner is done in 20 minutes!

This has to be lower fat than homemade alfredo, but it sure was creamy and tasty.

No comments: