Saturday, October 15, 2011

The cleanout has begun

and here is what I have learned about my parents:
My dad had a comb in every coat pocket and in his tennis bag. He had a lot of coats. Apparently he always had nice hair.
He must have purchased many new handkerchiefs every year - we found SO many in his drawers.
Growing up in the Depression causes you to keep everything that might come in use someday, even if you replaced it with newer and better stuff. Especially if you had a cranny to store it.
Holding on to something simple like a GI issue Gillette razor and boxed blades since 1943 makes it turn into something really old and amazing to look at.
He wrote Mom some very sweet love notes. And she kept them.

My mom wrote out every talk and lesson she gave, word for word. And they were full of good thoughts and lessons.
My mom read and reviewed many books over 50 years for her book club, as evidence by pages and pages of review lecture notes. A bit different than how my book group does things.
My mom was continually learning. There were so many articles clipped out of magazines, good thoughts, notes from lessons, and recipes in every possible form in every possible spot. She loved to cook and think about trying new things. She made a lot (a LOT) of mints and chocolates for many many people - keeping logs of who and how many for each year since the 1970's.

seeing all these old items takes me back to a time long ago when I was a little girl and looking at cool items in our house.
these figurines were so much a part of our growing up memories. Even the many times they were broken!

No comments: