Saturday, June 11, 2011

Done!

And I'm exhausted. And spent a lot of money. We moved into our new home in 1991. It's about time we landscaped the front yard corner. It became more of an eyesore after two events:
1. The plum tree fell over one Sunday about 5 ? years ago. It was searching for more sun and had really shallow roots. There's a life lesson there!
2. Last summer the neighbors cut down a really large pine tree that was leaning and eventually would fall on their house, or our house. See it here.
That left a really large bare spot in the front yard corner.
On Memorial weekend we laid the bricks for the terrace and planted a few things.
This week we got a load of 5 yards of garden soil (many thanks to Casey and another ward memer who shoveled and wheelbarrowed for three hours!).
We bought more bushes, plants and mulch. We even dug up the Hosta and divided it and replanted it in the terrace area. We had enough for three plants to give the neighbors!

Clyde was a big help, digging holes, replacing sprinkler heads and spreading mulch. Cisco came home after a long day of work and helped dig up rocks we did not know were in the soil next to the terrace so we could plant some small rose bushes.
We've had three neighbors stop by and tell us how nice it looks!
I am excited for when things bloom, since we planted carpet rose bushes, Rose of Sharon which has flowers like Hibiscus, and three Hydrangea bushes with gorgeous flowers. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that all the good soil, special root stimulator, and careful spacing will result in many years of a nicer view in our front yard!
And the best part today was when I found a bark mulch made by Preen, and it has weed preventer stuff in it - protecting from weeds for 6 months. Now that is my kind of gardening.

I'm going to bed now - my landscaping day began at 9 and ended at 4, then shopped for mulch and trellises, with a 7 - 8:30 pm second round to plant roses with Cisco and beans in the soil Casey moved for me.
Bushed!

P.S. If the plants do not do well, I'm going to garden like my neighbor Cindy - put out some cute colored chairs, small tables, and pots of geraniums. Simple and fast.

No comments: