Sunday, April 3, 2011

To be remembered

18 years ago, we celebrated the 50th anniversary for my mother and father, Jim and Jennie Carlson.
We had invited many of their friends to write and send memories of earlier times with them.
Carolyn has been reading these remembrances again to Dad, and I thought that there were some that were worth sharing. My children were quite young at that party, and we have always lived away from Denver so they may not have had a chance to read some of these treasured and poignant memories.
So I am going to post a few over the next while that I think show what great people Jim and Jennie are.

Sept. 21, 1993

Dear Jim {Enos} and Jennie,

Congratulations! Fifty years is quite an accomplishment, but there was no doubt that you two would make it. Our thoughts went back to the old Western States Mission experience and the wonderful times we shared with you during that time. Last year we had opportunity and pleasure to visit with Helen and Crawford Davis in Medford, Oregon and of course Jennie and Jim were a very large part of our conversation.

To remember any one special event that we enjoyed together at that time is difficult to recall, but one special event I do recall was an occasion when I found myself almost quietly coveting something that was given to Jim by Elder Hartman Rector.

Jim, do you recall the occasion when President Redd was called to preside over the Mission. Elder Hartman Rector came from Salt Lake to set us apart as Counselors to President Redd. I was set apart first, and given a wonderful blessing by Elder Rector; then it was your turn. Hands were laid upon your head and you were set apart; the first words of your blessing by Elder Rector were “President Carlson, your sins are forgiven you.” It was a moving experience for me, one which I had never been a part of before. I would have paid money for that, but it could not have happened to a greater Guy. I later justified it by understanding that you probably had not had any sins prior to your blessing. We will be thinking of you two, and the joy you have brought into our lives.

We love you,

Don and Carrell Thorpe

No comments: