Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tax Time

Last night I prepared our federal and state taxes, using Turbo Tax online. I have done this since 2001 and it is a snap, since they pre-populate the info with what you gave last year. It was late, but I had all the necessary documents. I did both returns in less than an hour. As I put everything away, I realized I had forgotten to enter our $1900 of real estate taxes!! Yikes. Plus I had taken a deduction on the state forms for insurance premiums that I had have never taken before - wahoo.

So tonight I went back in to Turbo tax and they walked me through an amended return. Turns out I owe $462 less!. So after creating two amended returns, I decided to check on the state insurance deduction. We were NOT eligible after all. So I did a third amended return for the state. Less refund :( but I am honest. Now I have to mail my amended returns and I get to wonder if the IRS will take the first amt due out of my account, then give me a refund or what!!. And will the refund sent by the state be too much now that I have figured it correctly? I will make some phone calls tomorrow. And take a bit more time next year? Sheesh.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

HI! I found your blog from Emily and KCs! let me know next tax season when you need help on your taxes! I am finally going to school to be an accountant! I hope to see you all soon!