Saturday, January 19, 2008

8 weeks later trip to the ER!

On my way to take Michelle to meet a photographer, my heart started racing again. We turned around and went home instead of to Salt Lake. This was at 2 pm. Heart rate - about 180 beats per minute. I decided to sit quietly and see if it would go away on its own. About 5 pm Clyde took me to the store so I could use the blood pressure cuff and see my heart rate. I really thought it had slowed a bit. nope - 188 per minute. So my neighbor brought over her stethoscope and let me listen to how fast it was beating. She encouraged me to go get 'converted' at the ER. This procedure is called "converted" because you get converted to a healthy heart state from a very fast heart rate. So we went at 7 :10 pm. Saw the same nurse as before, and at 8:15 pm got the same heart stopping shot as before. Worked like a charm, I think medicine is amazing that a shot of liquid can reach the heart in seconds, stop it and restart it so it beats normally. That's a miracle. Clyde is glad to be done with this long before the middle of the night! 6 hours is a long time to have your heat beat at 180 bpm. I'll count that as heart exercise...
I have a second follow up appt with the famous electro cardiologist so we'll see what he says after a second episode in 8 weeks. I promised to take my meds until then.

No comments: